Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Summer Improvements

It all started with my frustration of our recycle cluttering up the counter space. A trip to the Container Store which we were told they couldn't help us achieve what we wanted....ended up to our satisfaction with my passion for organization and Nick's ability to measure and put my plan of action to life. Behold our cabinet recycle container...

Elfa drawer pull out with plywood drilled to it in the small cabinet next to the sink which remains unlocked...
so that the recycle garbage can can sit on it to collect the recycle trash rather than the counter and the never working can inside the garage.

From there I knew we were to have one upgrade this Summer using our tax refund money. With the computer on the fritz and with the couches unbearable...I was to pick one with the promise to not complain about the other...and in the end new carpet was the choice. After the housekeeper came for the last time I realized that even a good cleaning crew would waste the money because our bedroom carpet was done. Even though the other bedrooms were in great condition, when people enter our room is in sight and it was just gross. Thinking back to the wood floors while we were both working I knew this had to be done while we were both off...
Jack's room before
Playroom Before-Can you tell he spends a lot of time in here now that he is "off" for the summer?
Our Room Before
Filth and this is only a small sample of it.
The process which made me grateful we did it on a day Jack was at school and we were off to be able to get it ready, be there while they worked, and put it back together not after work hours.
It was a good thing Nick had just cleaned out the garage...shame it was a Disaster again.
Work in progress.
Playroom After
Jack's Room After. Somehow I didn't get a picture of our room after and it was the main cause for the selection of carpet over the much needed computer (although it is doing better thanks to Patrick) and the couch that is probably the cause of this pain I am having in my back especially now as I type this post. It is a grayish color and the Frizee stuff...super soft and plush...I LOVE IT!
The new carpet prompted us to call in Angela for more improvements for the Summer of 2009. We took down our collage of photos and hung up one of the paintings from Grandpa.
Finally put the UpperCase Living above Jack's door...I just LOVE the saying, "Let him sleep for when he wake he will move mountains."
Moved some metal embellishments from the living room to the hall in the place of our wedding pictures to pull in some color....the walls in the hall and playroom were painted prior to the carpet being installed. Khaki color of course. :)
Angela helped us to add to the collage that was already there with more pictures of our little man, framing our last UpperCase Living saying on canvas, and adding some decorative pieces to finish up the wall. I LOVE how it came out! Thanks Angela!
And the final, but not last project, was to get the printer out of the living room off the couch side table by buying a desk, chair, and printer holder for our closet...that is right...Nick moved to the playroom closet, my stuff remains, but in the back there is a nice space for us to store the computer, do a little work, and get the printer out of the living room (which was it's newest location from under our bed where we used to plug it in to print). We have named our little office space the OC (Office Closet). We're still working on an organization system in here....before summer's end...I'm determined.

As for the rest of the list:
Paint Jack's table and chairs to move to his room, put together and paint a purchases toy box bench for his room, paint the bookshelf, mirror, and cubbie system for his playroom to make a dress up center, and get that garage under control which probably will result in a shed...but that HAS to be after the couch because I'm dying here. So....we'll get it all together finally and then it will be time to sell so that we have more room for any future additions to the Relle Clan...that is how it works right?!?!

No comments: