Shana my long term sub shared a contest at A Real Bookstore (a new local bookstore). Children are able to design bookmarks and the winner from each of the 4 age groups would have their bookmark professionally printed and distributed at the store. My class and their book buddies entered the contest that day, but the entries were due the next day. So students had their parents sign their entries and bring them to me so that I could deliver them to the store by closing that Friday. Nick had something that night so I had to pick up both boys but I knew that Jack would LOVE to participate. So we headed home, used an art work from Apple Creek as a model and he got to work. We loaded back into the car and delivered the stack just in time. Well, to my surprise I received an email a few weeks later stating that Jack was one of the finalist and that they would like for him to attend a party where they would announce the winner. A few other students (Shana's little girl too-who was a winner in her age group-Yea Madeline) were finalists too. Jack entry is the one with the caterpillar that he made with finger prints. Isn't is so cute?!?!
Although Jack wasn't the winner in his age group, he was so proud of himself (and so were we!). The day of the party he got dressed up, practiced saying his name and shaking hands, and walked up tall when his name was called....and was even a trooper when the lady kept calling him Jake. You can see he is trying to correct her but then decided to just go with it. Once they announced the winner he just stood up there smiling. Bless his heart...he was so proud of the attention which was so unlike him...so proud I tell you. And in the end he got a certificate (with the name Jake on it), a book, and one of each of the 4 winning bookmarks (although we went and took a lot more than one for Madeline). And the cake too which was tasty!!
Jack and I have already started brainstorming the entry he'll be making for next year!


No comments:
Post a Comment