Tuesday, May 19, 2009

It's A

CHICK (well chickS actually-7 of them)

My class for the past 21 days has been observing and caring for 12 eggs in an incubator. Jack has loved to come and look at the eggs. Yesterday he got to see a hole in one with a beak pecking away, a few cracks on others, and a peep/peep here and there from inside the eggs. He has taken so much ownership after coming with me to the feed store to buy supplies for them after they hatch. Well I expected to see them still working away this morning when I got to school and was hoping for only one or two to make things easier...but nope...I walked into a room full of chirps and 7 baby chicks! The other 5 are still cooking and if my candling shadow test is accurate they too should be hatched soon.
I picked Jack up from school, we went to Walmart to get cedar for the smell and a lower wattage bulb because the 250 was frying my lil chicks...then went to school so he could see his "Peep, Peeps" outside their eggs. He instantly wanted to hold the yellow one. The brown one was super interested in a scrap of paper on the floor.
I swear that no chicks were harmed in his visit...although this one did go to the potty soon after being "hugged" really tightly by Jack.
He loved knocking and "waking them up from their naps" when really they were exhausted from pecking out and still cooling off from their bake session under the super light. It's funny though...they kinda all look like they are thinking who is that kid, why is he knocking, and I hope he doesn't squeeze me like our yellow friend a minute ago.



This has been quit an adventure but totally worth it for myself, Jack, and especially my students who were so excited this morning to see their baby chicks had hatched. Good times....now how long before they take a trip to the farm....depends on how often I have to clean the aquarium, how long before they start to get out the aquarium, and how long I can take the nonstop cheep, cheeping from them.

2 comments:

SpunkyToes said...

How cute are they!!

Anonymous said...

That's so sweet! Rocky and I wish we could of gotten up there to take them!